Monday, April 29, 2013

ReShape Mondays



Enjoy the silence...aahhhh. Anybody remember this video? Yes, this ReShape Monday has me digging back through my childhood. At the time, I didn't get this video. But today driving into work, it came to mind. You see, I have entered into a new stage of my career. At times, this new stage puts me in new circles. Sometimes, in those circles, I am with people who have diarrhea of the mouth. During those times, I recall something my old Pastor used to say when he would be in the company of other prestigious pastors. He would tell about how some of the pastors that wanted to be seen and heard made a lot of noise but very little sense. During those times, he would "practice the art of silence". 

Sometimes talking too much can get you into trouble, make you sound like a fool. Check out what the bible says about that "Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent. (Proverbs 17:28)". 

So, today, I knew that I would be surrounded by those who wanted to talk a lot so that it seemed like they knew a lot. Enter Depeche Mode. Not sure the meaning behind the song but just the title alone gave me what I needed. 

Not sure about you but I struggle with clearing my mind so that I can enjoy the silence. I have tried many times to wake up early and just sit, with a clear mind. It sounds so easy to do, sit and imagine yourself walking on beach. Or listen to the rain falling. Or thunder. Or white noise from the t.v. 

Just think about what can happen during that silence. Answers you've been waiting for can finally have the space to come through. We are so bombarded with things that compete for our attention. We've learned to multi-task with the best of them. Practicing silence has become a lost art form. I say we get back to it. Let's not only practice silence but listening as well. Giving others our full attention, not wishing that they would hurry and finish so we can start talking. 

It's a process. As I work to get to that point, I can be quiet when necessary. 

1 comment:

  1. I have gotten to where I enjoy the silence, but might be my age LOL Love your blog. I, too work outside the home, minus the heels,(and I am 8-4:30 LOL), a mom, and blogger. Doing what I have to do to survive and for me to be able to blog. Just hopped over from the Weekend Blog Party. Look forward to looking around your blog. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete