Monday, April 8, 2013

ReShape Mondays

Sooo....it's Monday....again.


A Monday after a vacation week. It is truly amazing how you can be gone for a week and when you arrive back home, jump right back into your routine. I am very thankful that we have routines, my type A personality would have it no other way.



I have always been a routine type person, having that structure helps me to make sure I am tackling everything that needs to be tackled. I started the kids on routines early on. Routines cut down on anxiety because everyone knows what they should be doing at all times. For instance, Hummingbird knows that when we get home, it's homework. Because I am a working outside the home mom, she attends karate afterschool and she gets a chance to get a jumpstart on homework. By the time I pick her up, we get home, she has a chance to finish any uncompleted homework. MonkeyMan and I work different shifts, he works about 15 minutes away from our home. Hummingbird must have homework completed by 7 pm because that's when MonkeyMan comes home for his lunch, our dinner. When he returns to work at 8 pm, she has an opportunity to watch one of her favorite shows.

Speaking of dinner, that's another routine. It is very important for us to eat dinner together. I believe that provides a great foundation for a family and gives us a chance to talk and find out about each other's day. Now, don't get me wrong, it gets a bit chaotic. Everyone wants to talk at the same time. But I would rather have all that chatter than not have any at all.

So, yeah, routines. They provide structure and security for kids. Kids thrive when there is consistency. There are some things that I need to tighten up on that are affected by the ages and stages of kids. Yogli has the duty of cleaning the kitchen every night. Well, we have just reached the point where he does this without being told. We've both learned some things: he's learned a bit of responsibility, I've learned that he may not clean the kitchen perfectly. Yes, for the longest time, I expected him to clean the kitchen the way I would clean the kitchen. Part of that whole control thing, type A personality. Told you, I am working on this thing! So, MonkeyMan broke it all down for me. I finally realized that other people will not do things the way I would do them. And that's ok. So, Yogli still leaves food in the sink. And that's ok...I think, yeah, it's ok.

Don't forget, it helps to write things down, too! I have an app on my phone and tablet, Cozi, that helps with that. You can access from any phone/tablet/computer (wow, we have way too many gadgets). It's color coded, a color for each family member. You can also share calendars between family members and send text messages about anything on the calendar. And best of all, it's free! I don't believe in buying apps, if it's not free, I don't need it.


My love of routines helped me to have a great "welcome back" Monday from vacation. Now tell me, what great routines have you got going on? 



25 comments:

  1. i also love routines...they keep me in check...my little one is also following in my steps and questions me when we go off track! lol


    aloted@ www.superworkingmum.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't function without my routines! Love your great blog. New follower from Linkin with my Ladies. :)

    Kathy
    www.lifeonlakeshoredrive.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ aloted, isn't it amazing that even at that tender age, they pickup on everything we do and start developing their own "thing"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome, Kathy! Would love to hear some of your routines, you can never have enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tiffany, new follower from Linkin with the Ladies! You're very inspiring, and I can tell I'll be learning from your blog. :) I have a 2 yo and an almost 4-going-on-40-yr-old. Hubby sometimes goes away for work. In the beginning weeks of his absence, I find my routines unravel a bit. The things that NEVER change are the noon nap/rest time for both kids, and the general daily structure: breakfast, activity, snack, activity, lunch, nap, activity, dinner, bed. But I find in the midst of the extra stress, I forget or let go of other routines. I'm definitely not a type A, but we do have a color-coded family calender (very low-tech house, don't even have a TV.;) Any suggestions to get my clean house back?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maggie, so glad you stopped by! My routines can sometimes motivate or cause me to go nuts!! Case in point, I am traveling next week on business, gone all week. I am in routine overload to make sure my folks at home are taken care of. Whew! A few things helped me get the house organized. Not sure if you have some of the issues but I very much dislike cooking. My husband is an excellent cook. But I feel bad sometimes so I've really been trying to step it up. So, together, we plan the meals for the week. I am delving into clean eating so I'll pick 2 meals, he'll pick 2 and then we wing the rest. I also designated days in which I do certain tasks, like laundry. Our laundry days are Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Prior to this, I was washing like every day! Now, everybody knows when they hear that "swish swish", time to bring their clothes to the laundry room. Those things have helped, I am still working on some other stuff, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for linking up! This is good. I think I will start assigning specific chores for each day. I enjoy being creative in the kitchen, but tend to get stuck in a lunch rut with the kids. Thanks :)

      Delete
  7. I have needed routines and lists since I was a kid, I just can't cope with having too much to do, so writing it down tends to break it up a bit and make it easier to manage. I don't do this so much now, not as much time with a 2 year old chasing me around all day, but we still have all our meals at exactly the same time every day, it seems to help knowing that at least one part of the day won't ever change.

    Hi from your newest liker, thanks to Ms. Adventures launch party link up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome, singlemumof1! You are so right, I cope so much better with my routines. But watch out when something throws me off, not a pretty sight. I am still working on that attitude adjustment though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I agree about the dinner table routine, time we can communicate with each other!
    Following you thru bloglovin!
    www.bugsbeans.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe you me, sometimes it sounds like a bunch of chatter, cause everybody's talking at the same time. But chatter is way better than no chatter any day.

      Delete
  10. Stopping by from the blog hop! am loving your post and your blog!
    Maria
    www.musicteachingandparenting.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like routine too, so long as it doesn't turn into a rut. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the tricky part, not getting stuck in a rut. Every now and then, I'll add something silly to a routine. Keeps me on my toes and them, and we can sneak in a laugh here and there.

      Delete
  12. Dropping by from the blog hop! My routine is blogging ha ha..but on Sunday it has always been about relaxing, watching tv and mostly not showered until after mid day (YAIK!) :P

    Rina
    www.cutecoconut.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHaHa, Rina! I enjoy my lounge days as well, they don't come often enough. Well maybe they shouldn't come too often, I might take them for granted.

      Delete
  13. I wish our lives allowed for more family time and family dinners. Great post. It's been great co-hosting. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julia, it's been great co-hosting with you guys.

      Delete
  14. I need to get BACK into a routine. Definitely inspired me to get it together. I'm so much happier when things are not done on whim haha. Love the post =) Thanks for visiting mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just makes me breath a sign of relief when things fall into place.

      Delete
  15. "I don't believe in buying apps, if it's not free, I don't need it." ESO!!! Exactamundo and you're 100% right. Here from the Showoff Blog Hop and look forward to more of your posts. BB2U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, that's right!! I just cannot see paying $$ for an app, doesn't make any sense to me. With enough research, I can find an app that's comparable to the one for $$.

      Delete